If you’re looking for a fun and exciting day out with the kids in Essex this summer holidays then a visit to the coast is a must. For extra entertainment be sure to visit on days when the Victorian Travelling Museum is in town.
The Victorian travelling museum tells the story of the unique seaside history of the growth of Tendring resorts.
The exhibition will be inside a beautifully decorated Victorian style side show wagon and will feature visual and audio displays, interactive props and activities, oral histories and individual displays for Walton, Clacton, Jaywick, Holland-on-Sea, Frinton and Harwich. All brought to life and animated by performers from the Grand Theatre of Lemmings as part of the ‘Resorting to the Coast’ community project, funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and Essex County Council.
Pierrots, balloon modellers, story tellers and Uncle Tacko’s ‘Flea Circus’ will be providing a fun day out with the kids and bringing seaside history to life at these free events. The Frinton and Walton Museum will be joining the troupe on some dates with a local heritage stall alongside.
Dates of Tour:
- Thursday 23rd August, Travelling Exhibition, Clacton Town Square (air show)
- Friday 24th August Travelling Exhibition, Jaywick Martello Tower (air show)
- Saturday 25th August~Travelling Exhibition, Walton Maritime Museum with special magic show
- Sunday 26th August~Travelling Exhibition, Frinton greensward (central)
- Bank Holiday Monday 27th August~Travelling Exhibition, Harwich (open day at the Redoubt Fort)
- Thursday 30th August~Exhibition and Seaside Entertainment. Walton Millennium Square (special ‘Bucket & Spade’ train event)
- Friday 31st August~Exhibition and Seaside entertainment. Frinton greensward (central)
- Saturday 1st September~ Exhibition and Seaside Entertainment. Clacton town square
- Sunday 2nd September~ Exhibition and Seaside Entertainment. Jaywick Sands Martello Tower
- Wednesday 5th September to Wednesday 12th September ~ Exhibition at Jaywick Martello Tower
For more information and event times check out the Tendring Coastal Heritage Events page here.